There is an ancient sensor system at work that detects if a golf ball goes through a certain hole and is connected to a doorbell. This past winter the system get wet and died. I am working on designing a system that will replace the existing one with one that has a more useful feature set.
The current feature set includes:
- optical sensing (old physical switches get bent by the balls and stop working)
- motion sensor (detect people crawling into the area to cheat)
- local alarm for cheaters
- local announcement of winner
- remote display of winners
- remote display of cheating
- wireless to allow remote display to be moved as needed.
- expandable wireless network to allow future addition of other nodes to enhance appearance of courses.
I am working on the prototypes of the sensor node and the display node. I recently received two Adafruit Feather 32u4 RFM95 LoRa Radios and am working on code to use to test the range with the buildings involved. I want to set up code that does not require a computer connected or a complex display to indicate a good connection. I am currently using the RadioHead Library for Arduino to control the radios.